Monday, March 9, 2009

Advice To New Players

I don’t know how many new players even read this blog. Heck, I think the only people who read this blog are those that are in the Ch’know group. However, if by chance a new player finds this blog, here is some advice to you as a wise old 1 yr and 5 month old player in SL…TAKE CLASSES!

That’s right…take as many classes as you can in SL. Take them on building, scripting, textures, inventory, etc. Most of them are free and they are all very, very helpful!

When I first started SL, all I did was shop, shop and shop. I had a job and I have lived in a few places but that gets boring really, really quick! I am just now starting to get into the creative part of SL and I am really enjoying it. If I had started a year ago, I just think about how much more ahead of the game I would be now and how many lindens I may have saved myself.

See, that lamp or end table that you paid $20L to $100L for? You could have made yourself in a free building class. That simple, simple thing you have been trying to build that has you tearing your RL hair out for a day in a ½ now…you could have learned the simple trick to take care of it by taking a free building class.

That simple script you bought on SLExchange to turn a light off or on with a touch….you get for free in the classes you take and you can learn how to make adjustments to it and it is full perm.

So the bottom line is: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

You can do this by:
• Going to www.lindenlabs.com
• Under Category, find events
• Then search by Education, pick a day and you will see a long list of things that may interest you.

Have fun and I hope to see you in a class soon!

2 comments:

Marnix Malifozik said...

Hi Terri
Just so that you know, I'm a noob (less than one month old) and I read your blog. Hope that's encouraging :)
In terms of taking classes, it's not something I've considered up to this point. Hawksrock posted an excellent post yesterday on The SecondLife Cycle and I just don't think I'm up to the appropriate stage yet.
I do accept it is excellent advice to take classes (and a great reminder that these classes do exist), but maybe at a later stage in my cycle.
Does that make sense?

Terri Zhangsun said...

Ah, thanks for the comment Marnix! I really appreciate it! Most of the time I feel like I am blogging for my own health, which isn't a bad thing. It looks like you have a blog which I am going to link up to mine..once I get off of work..lol!