Friday, August 15, 2008

How Honest is Giving in SL?

I was reading about the Hair Fair and I started to think how reputable are the charities in SL. Now I am not knocking any of these charities and I'm not trying to start any drama...let me make that clear!

However, if I wanted to donate money for cancer or animals, I would think it would be safer to do so in RL rather than some donation box or special event in SL. Because really, does anyone check up on the individuals who plan these events to make sure that the money does go to the appropriate charity? Does Linden Labs? I doub't it but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with charities in SL and if they are reputable or held accountable by someone or not?

1 comment:

Alicia Chenaux said...

I think you have to go on good faith that the people organizing these events actually give the money to the charity. But it's also why I don't go all nuts at charity events like some people do. All the RFL things I *think* were pretty legit, but you just never know.